In my previous blog post, I wrote about using Google My Maps to demonstrate comprehension of a text.
This post will be about taking that comprehension to a deeper level using Google My Maps and Screencastify; a Google extension.
If you’ve read my previous post, you’ll know that my class have been plotting locations from the text they’ve been reading in Google My Maps. They have also been adding important information to those points of interest – what the characters in the story did in this place and the historical significance of that location.
Their next challenge is to combine all this together to create a screen recording. Students need to:
- Read the chapter
- Plot the locations on their map
- Add the historical significance information to that place’s description
- Add images to the description
- Add in what happened to the characters at this location in the description
- Taking turns, read the chapter aloud whilst using Screencastify to record their reading whilst scrolling through their plotted points on Google My Maps.
You can see my example here:
I look forward to my students taking on this new challenge.